Captain Walter Mowbray JOHNSTON
- Born: 1842, Trinidad, West Indies
- Marriage (1): Rosina Anne OVERTON on 3 Aug 1868 in Fort William, Bengal, India
- Marriage (2): Fanny Louisa Ellen DUNNE on 26 Feb 1876 in St. James, Calcutta, India
- Died: Cir 1919 aged about 77
BIOGRAPHY: WALTER MOWBRAY JOHNSTON joined the 1st. Batt. King's Liverpool Regiment - 1859 - 63, and then spent much of his life in India. For many years he worked as Traffic Manager of India State Railways.
He was appointed a Lieutenant in the Sind Volunteer Rifles, and during the Afghan War 1879, he raised the Tirhoot State Volunteer Rifles, and became their Captain Commandant. He was Favourably Mentioned for his Service to the Government of India. He was invalided home in 1882.
Of Walter Mowbray Johnston's children:
(1) Arthur lived in Rhodesia and had three daughters.
(2) Sheila married Basil Billinge, and had four children - Yvonne (Twinkle), Betty, Jack and Helena (twins).
(3) Walter lived in South Africa and had two sons, Roy and Ian, and two daughters.
(4) Francis Featherstonehaugh Johnston was born 1891. He spent most of his life in Egypt. During the first World War as an Army Chaplain, he married Gladys Head, a Queen Alexandra Nurse (1919). He then became Chaplain to the Church in Port Said, and as Archdeacon was instrumental in the building of the Cathedral (consecrated 1938). In 1952 he was made Bishop in Egypt. On retiring he became the Assistant Bishop of Guildford. He died in 1963. He had two children, Marion (1920) and Noel (1921)
Extract from "The London Gazette" dated 28 January 1859
8th Foot, Walter Mowbray Johnston, Gent., to be Ensign, without purchase, vice Shirreff, promoted. Dated 28th January 1859.
Extract from "Historical Record of the King's Liverpool Regiment of Foot" (1883)
Appendix I: Ensigns
Walter Mowbray Johnston appointed Ensign 28 January 1859 (Retired in 1863).
Extract from "The London Gazette" dated 30 January 1863
8th Foot, William Toke Dooner, Gent., to be Ensign by purchase, vice Walter Mowbray Johnston, who retires. Dated 30 January 1863.
Extract from the "London Daily News" dated Saturday, 31 January 1863
8th Foot -- William Toke Dooner, Gent., to be Ensign by purchase, vice Walter Mowbray Johnston, who retires.
Extract from India Marriages
Groom: Walter Mowbray Johnston
Bride: Rosina Anne Overton
Marriage: 3 August 1868 at Fort William, Bengal, India.
Groom's Father: Thomas Francis Johnston
Bride's Father: Thomas Overton
Extract from FBIS: Transcription of Bengal Marriages
Walter M. Johnston to Fanny L. E. Dunne in 1876
Extract from India Marriages
Groom: Walter Mowbray Johnstone
Birth Date: 1842
Groom's marital status: Widowed
Bride: Fanny Louise Ellen Dunne
Birth Date: 1854
Marriage: 26 Feb 1876 in Calcutta, Bengal, India
Groom's Father: Thomas Francis Johnstone
Bride's Father: Charles Augustus Dunne
Walter Johnston, born 1842 in the West Indies, living in Fulham, St. Paul, Hammersmith.
Walter married Rosina Anne OVERTON, daughter of Thomas OVERTON and Unknown, on 3 Aug 1868 in Fort William, Bengal, India. (Rosina Anne OVERTON was born in 1847 in England and died on 4 Mar 1875 in Calcutta, Bengal, India.)
Walter next married Fanny Louisa Ellen DUNNE, daughter of Charles Augustus DUNNE and Unknown, on 26 Feb 1876 in St. James, Calcutta, India. (Fanny Louisa Ellen DUNNE was born on 22 Jul 1853 in Calcutta, Bengal, India and was christened on 9 Mar 1854 in Calcutta, Bengal, India.)