Rev. Henry ASHE
- Born: 1759, Co. Louth, Ireland
- Christened: 1 Nov 1759, St. Peter's, Drogheda, co. Louth, Ireland
- Marriage: Sophia McCLURE
- Died: 14 Jun 1824, Acton, Co. Armagh, Ireland aged 65
- Buried: 1824, Acton, Co. Armagh, Ireland
Extract from "St. Peter's Church of Ireland, Drogheda - Baptismal Register: 1702-1899"
Name: Henry Ash
Baptised: 1 November 1759
Father's name: Nicholas Ash
Father's occupation: Writing Master
Extract from Ireland Births and Baptisms
Name: Henry Ashe
Baptised: 1 November 1759 at Saint Peter, Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Father: Nicholas Ash
Extract from "Alumni Dubliensis" by A. Thom (1935)
ASHE, HENRY, Pen. (Dr. Norris), Jan 6, 1777, aged 17; son of Nicholas, Generosus; born Co. Louth. B.A. Vern 1783.
Extract from "A Catalogue of Graduates in the University of Dublin" by James H. Todd (1869)
Ashe (Henry), B.A., Vern 1783.
Extract from "Tandragee: Some Historical Notes" by K. Kilpatrick
In 1814, Rev. Henry Ashe, Rector of Acton, and his brother, Rev. Isaac Ashe, advertised a "Private Boarding School which taught amongst other subjects "Latin, Greek and "writing"!".
Henry was the son of Nicholas Ashe.
From an advert in the B.N.L. dated 18 August 1789, it appears that he and his brother, Rev. Isaac Ashe, both educated under Dr. Norris at Drogheda, opened a school at Tanderagee in 1789.
He was born in 1759, and married Sophia McClure. He became Vicar of Acton, Poyntzpass, County Meath in 1799, and died there in 1824. His P. Will was proved in 1824.
Acton was named after Acton near Ealing which was the birth place of Sir Toby Poyntz (c. 1680). Lieut. Poyntz won a victory at Fenwick Pass, by finding a way through the bogs between Portadown and Newry, later known as Poyntzpass. He was made a Knight, and granted lands that belonged to the O'Hanlons. He built a house and cottages for English settlers, and called it Acton. It was originally in the Parish of Tandragee. A Church was built there in 1789, and a tower added between 1825 - 29, a side aisle in 1858, and the Chancel in 1890.
Extract from "Historical Memoirs of the city of Armagh" by James Stewart (1819)
Benefice: Acton, Armagh.
Rev. Henry Ashe appointed Perpetual Curate 1799.
Extract from "The Parish of Acton & Drumbanagher"
From some entries recorded it appears that the clergyman was often entrusted with the money for expending on the poor. The Rev. Henry Ashe, Perpetual Curate from 1799 - 1824 was on one occasion accused by a member of the Vestry of not rendering a proper account of the monies placed in his charge. The sum involved was
£4-2-6. Mr. Ashe stated that instead of owing this amount to the Parish, the Parish owed it to him. A Committee was appointed to examine all the accounts, and to declare whether the money was expended in accordance with the law. As a result of the deliberations of the Committee, it was decided that a sum of £4-2-6 was legally due to Mr. Ashe for money advanced by him for the use of the Parish, and a special resolution was passed in the following terms:-
'That on a minute investigation of the books, it appears to this Committee that the Rev. Henry Ashe has been uniformly guided by the opinion of the Parish at their Vestries, and has most uprightly and honourably expended the public money for the relief of the poor, and is justly entitled to the thanks of the Parishioners.'
The sequel to this incident is interesting. On the south wall of the tower there is a Sun-dial. In the top corner, it is inscribed "Memento Mori"; along the top "Made by Thomas McCreesh"; along the bottom "The Rev. Henry Ashe's gift to the Parish"; in the centre March 28 1819.
In the Vestry Book there is an entry, '£4-2-6, money due to Mr. Ashe, and given by him for a Sun-dial for the said Church.'
Extract from "Armagh Clergy and Parishes" by Rev. James B. Leslie (1911)
Perpetual Curate of Acton, co. Armagh:
1799 -- Henry Ashe, Lic. Dec. 12 (D.R.). T.C.D. B.A. 1783. A letter from him to W. Shaw Mason (MSS. P.R.O.) says that he "is totally occupied in attending a Seminary here." From an advt. in the B.N.L., 18 Aug., 1789, it appears that he and Rev. Isaac Ashe, both educated under Dr. Norris at Drogheda, opened a school at Tanderagee in that year. His P. Will was proved in 1824. His 4th dau., Ellen Mary, m. in 1841 Rev. Patrick Moore; see Portadown. His dau. Jane E., d. 17 Jan 1891, aged 84. He was bur. in Acton, where his tomb bears the inscription:
"Sacred / to the memory of / the Rev. Henry Ashe, / who departed this life the 14th June, 1824, / aged 65 years. / He discharged faithfully the duties of / the parish of Acton for 25 years. Beloved / by his own family and esteemed / by all who knew him. / Also / Sophia his / wife,
who departed this life 27th of Feby., 1827, / aged 52 years. / Here also are interred the remains of / their eldest son, Robert Henry Ashe, who / died deeply lamented by his affectionate / widow and numerous friends, March 25th, 1840 / aged 36 years."
His youngest dau., Alicia, died unm., aged 90, on July 7, 1909.
In Newry Memories, "Catholics and Protestants were united", it is reported:
Rev. Henry Ashe, a Church of Ireland curate at Poyntzpass, referred to the `Ancient Britons` as "bloody scoundrels. They stabled their horses in the old church at Acton, causing great indignation; and rode to the chapel at Ballyargan, where Mass was being celebrated, attacking the congregation with their sabres."
Extract from "A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" by Nicholas Carlisle (1810)
Acton, in the Barony of Orior, co. of Armagh, and Province of Ulster: The Rev. Henry Ashe, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties.
Extract from Burke's "A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1958)
Henry (Rev.), born 1757, married Sophia, daughter of ____ McClure, and had issue:
1. William (Rev.);
2. George (Rev.), married Mary Ogle.
The Rev. Henry Ashe's third son, born 1813 was George Alexander Hamilton Ashe.
Extract from "Acton Parish Church, Poyntzpass" by Barbara Best
Acton Parish Church, situated at the entrance to Poyntzpass Village from the Newry side, was built in 1789. This church was a replacement for the church built in 1684 by Sir Toby Poyntz, on the site now known as "Acton Old Graveyard", just south of Acton village on the Poyntzpass road. The 1684 church may have been a replacement for a much earlier church on the same site.
The Parish Church of Acton, built by Alexander Thomas Stewart junior in 1789, was not consecrated until October 1822.
Acton Parish Church Perpetual Curates:
1789-1793: Rev. John Creery
1793-1797: Rev. Alxander Macauley
1797-1799: Rev. Richard Dodds
1799-1824: Rev. Henry Ashe - who with his brother, the Reverend Isaac Ashe, opened a school in Tandragee in 1789. "He discharged faithfully the duties of the parish of Acton for 25 years".
Noted events in his life were:
• Appointed Vicar of Acton, Poyntzpass, County Meath, 1779.
Henry married Sophia McCLURE, daughter of Rev. Robert McCLURE and Ellen BENSON. (Sophia McCLURE was born circa 1775, died on 27 Feb 1827 in Drogheda, Louth, Ireland and was buried in 1827 in Acton, Co. Armagh, Ireland.)