Captain John ASH
Joseph Rutter ASHE
John Joseph ASHE


Family Links

Elizabeth McPHILLAMY

John Joseph ASHE

  • Born: 20 Jan 1811, Walton, Lancashire, England
  • Christened: 5 Jan 1814, St.Mary, Walton On The Hill, Lancashire, England
  • Marriage: Elizabeth McPHILLAMY on 22 Oct 1838 in Kelso, NSW, Australia
  • Died: 6 Jun 1861, Bathurst, NSW, Australia aged 50
  • Buried: 8 Jun 1861

bullet  General Notes:

Extract from the Baptism Register of St. Mary, Walton-on-the-Hill, Lancashire, England
Name: John Joseph Ashe, son of Joseph Rutter Ashe & Catharine.
Born: 20 January 1811
Baptised: 5 January 1814 by W. Godwin, Curate, at St. Mary, Walton-on-the-Hill.
Father's occupation: Revenue Officer
Abode: West Derby.

Contributed by Joseph William Rigg, Sydney, Australia
John Joseph Ashe, the son of Joseph Rutter Ashe, arrived in Australia aboard the "Juno", and married Elizabeth McPhillamy. The McPhillamy family now own 60,000 acres of choice land along the western rivers of NSW. They lived in the Bathurst area of NSW on the old property called Bogee, and had six sons and one daughter.

Registry of NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages
Marriages: 1838 -- Ashe, John J., married to McPhillamy, Elizabeth.
Deaths: 1861 -- Ashe, John J., aged 53 years, died at White Rock, Bathurst.

Extract from "The Sydney Herald" dated Monday, 16 April 1838
Notice to Creditors:

Take notice that, by Indenture of Assignment, bearing date on the 21st day of February last, and by Deed of Trust, bearing date on the 21st day of March last, all the Estate, Property, and Effects of John Joseph Ashe, of O'Connell Plains, in the Colony of New South Wales, Dealer, were conveyed and assigned to Trustees for the benefit of such Creditors of the said John Joseph Ashe, who shall execute the said Deed of Trust within three calendar months from the said 21st day of March last.
The Deeds are lying at the Office of the undersigned for the perusal and signature of the Creditors of the said John Joseph Ashe.
George Allen, Solicitor for the Trustees, April 1, 1838

Extract from "New South Wales Government Gazette" dated Friday, September 6, 1844
In the Insolvent Estate of John Joseph Ashe, of Bathurst, farmer and grazier.
Notice is hereby given that Hutchinson Bell, being the Official Assignee, and Frederick Strachan, the Assignee elected in this Estate, all debts, due to the same are to be paid to them, and that a third General Meeting of the Creditors will be holden before me, at the Supreme Court, Sydney, on Monday, the 7th day of October next, to commence at 10.30 am, and end at 11 am, for further proof of debts, and to receive the report of the Assignee as to the condition of the said Estate, also to give directions as to its future management.
Sydney, 4th September 1844
William H. Kerr
Chief Commissioner

Extract from "New South Wales Government Gazette" dated Tuesday, December 3, 1844
In the Insolvent Estate of John Joseph Ashe.
I hereby appoint a Special Meeting of the Creditors of the above-named Insolvent, to be holden before J. T. Morrisset, Esq., District Commissioner, at the Court House, Bathurst, on Tuesday, the 17th day of December instant, to commence at 10.30, and end at 11.30 am, for proof of Debts in the said Estate.
Sydney, the 30th day of November, 1844
William H. Kerr, Chief Commissioner.

Extract from "The Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal" dated Saturday, 8 June 1861
On Yesterday (Friday) an inquest took place at White Rock, on the body of John Joseph Ashe, who committed suicide on tho previous evening by blowing out his brains with a pistol. The jurv having been sworn, the following witnesses were examined :\emdash
Robert Ashe stated: I am the eldest son of the late John Joseph Ashe; the body viewed by tlio jury in my presence is that of my late father; about half-past six o'clock yesterday evening I was engaged trimming a lamp in the hall, my father being in the bedroom at the time; I opened the bedroom door to wash my hands; my father was standing at the secretaire looking over some papers; I said to him, I suppose you will have that (meaning the secretaire) cleared out for the sale to-morrow; he replied that he would have nothing more to do with anything again; he then locked the secretaire, but opened it again, and putting in his hand brought out the bottle which I now produce, and said. "Here, Robert, I will give you this; it will kill all the people about the place; take care what vou do with it;" he was then walking out of the room, when I said I supposed I was to throw it out; after that he left the bedroom; I heard the front door close, and in a few moments there was a report of a pistol; I immediately ran out, nnd saw deceased lying in front of the steps of the verandah; my brother and mother also ran out, and the men came from the kitchen; I saw that the deceased was quite dead, the skull being quite open, and a quantity of blood on the ground; the pistol was lying close to the right hand; I noticed nothing unusual in his manner all the evening; early in the day when he was removing the books he came across some which had been given to him by the Rev. Thos. Hassell twenty-six years ago; he remarked, 'Poor old man, he will live longer yet than I will;" he fretted about the sale under an excecution which.was to take place the following day; I saw him shed tears about it not only yesterday but on previous days; he said he could not bear to see them sold; deceased had been unable to sleep or eat for a fortnight past, fretting about his own circumstances and the death of his father, of which he had heard the same morning that he received two writs from Sydney; I never noticed that the deceased wandered in his mind or spoke incoherently; he had not been under the influence of spirits to such an extent as to be called tipsy at any time in my recollection; the bottle I produce is labelled 'Laudanum;' I procured it for my father's use when he had a swelled face; I saw him use some of it a good while ago.
Michael Dunn was next examined, but his evidence was merely a corroboration of a portion of that given by previous witnesses.
Richard Machattie being duly sworn, stated: \emdash I am a legally qualified medical practitioner, and reside at Bathurst; I know the deceased, whose body has been viewed by the jury; I found him lying in front of his late residence on his back, the head inclining a little to the left side, a pistol lay near his right hand, the left being slightly drawn up with some keys in it; a considerable pool of blood lay under the head; I found a portion of the brain about a yard from the head; another portion of the brain was found a short distance from the feet ; I found a gunshot wound a little above the right ear; a great part of the skull had been blown off, and the brain scattered; death must have been the instantaneous result of the injuries described. From the appearance of the wound I have reason to believe that the piistol must have been pressed close to the head at the time it was discharged. The Jury returned a verdict to the effect "that the said John Joseph Asho came by his death from a gunshot wound inflicted by himself whilst in a state of temporary insanity."

Extract from the "Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal" dated Saturday, 8 June 1861
Funeral: The friends of the late Mr. J. J. Ashe are respectfully invited to attend his funeral which will move from his late residence, White Rock, this day at 1 o'clock, noon.
S. Hodge, Undertaker.

Extract from "The Maitland Mercury" dated Thursday, 13 June 1861
Suicide of John Joseph Ashe, Esq, J.P. -- On Thursday night last the town of Bathurst was thrown into a state of the most painful excitement by the circulation of a report to the effect that Mr. Ashe, of White Rock, had committed suicide. It appears that the unhappy gentleman had recently fallen into serious pecuniary difficulties, that there was a Sheriff's execution in his house when the act was committed, and that it was announced that the goods of deceased would be sold by auction on Friday (yesterday). From the testimony of his son, it would seem that Mr. Ashe had been employed for the most part of Thursday in arranging his accounts, and making ready for the forthcoming sale. At about 6 o'clock in the evening, after some conversation with his son Robert, deceased took from his secretaire a bottle containing laudanum, which he handed to his son, remarking that there was sufficient to kill a dozen men. There was nothing at all unusual in his manner until his son said to him, "I suppose, father, you will have this room cleared out for the sale," upon which Mr. Ashe, who was examining some papers in the secretaire, closed the drawer and said, "I won't have anything more to do with the matter," or words of the same signification. He then went out of the room and through the front door, whioh he dosed violently after him; and many minutes did not elapse before the report of a pistol was heard in front of the house. Mrs. Ashe and her two eldest sons rushed out and found the deceased lying a few yards in front of the verandah. It may easily be conceived what their sensations were at witnessing the melancholy spectacle of the head of their family stretched upon the ground, a wretched suicide. Immediate intelligence was sent to Bathurst, and Dr. Machattie at once proceeded to White Rock, where he found the deceased perfectly dead; in fact, from the nature of the wound in the head, the medical testimeny went to prove that the unfortunate man could not have lived an instant after the trigger was pulled. The jury returned the following verdict : "That the deceased, John Joseph Ashe, came to his death from a gun-shot wound inflicted by his own hand, while in a state of temporary insanity." (Bathurst Times, June 8).

Extract from "The Sydney Morning Herald" dated Friday, 21 June 1861
Mr. John Joseph Ashe, of White Rock, Bathurst district, has committed suicide by blowing out his brains. The unfortunate gentleman laboured under pecuniary embarrassments, and at the time he committed self-destruction there was a sheriff's execution in his house. It is supposed that these troubles affected his intellect.


John married Elizabeth McPHILLAMY, daughter of William McPHILLAMY and Mary SCOTT, on 22 Oct 1838 in Kelso, NSW, Australia. (Elizabeth McPHILLAMY was born on 18 Jul 1823 in Windsor, NSW, Australia, died on 5 Apr 1891 in Bogee Station, Bathurst, NSW, Australia and was buried in Rylstone General Cemetery, NSW, Australia.)

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 6 Apr 2016 with Legacy 8.0 from Millennia