Thomas DE ESSE (of Halberton and Sworton)
- Born: 1100
- Marriage: Unknown
Extract from "Records of the Ashe Family" by Waller Ashe (1876)
The son of Herbert d'Essaye, Thomas de Esse, held in fief the lands of Esse in the hundred of Halberton near Sowton, Devon, called Ash Thomas. Thomas de Esse is mentioned as a benefactor to Rochester Church. His other estate appears to have been Esse in the hundred of Witheridge near South Molton.
Extract from 'British History Online'
BRADEBORNE is a manor here, the seat of which is situated near a mile north-west from the town of Sevenoke. This estate had the same owners as Knole, as has been already described, till Sir Thomas Grandison, in the reign of king Edward III, passed it away by sale to Walter de Pevenley, or Pemley, who very probably first erected this mansion, which in old deeds was written Pevenley, alias Pemley-court; but before the beginning of king Henry VI's reign, this family was extinct, and then the Ashes succeeded to the possession of it, who were before owners of much property in this neighbourhood. They were written, in antient Latin deeds, De Fraxino, and were probably descended from Thomas de Esse, who was one of the recognitores magnę assisę, in the 4th year of king John, as appears by the pipe rolls of that time. They rebuilt undoubtedly a great part of this antient fabric, as appeared by their coat of arms, Azure, three chevrons argent, in several of the windows.
Extract from "Registrum Roffense, or a Collection of Ancient Records, Charters, and Instruments of Divers Kinds" by John Thorpe (1769)
Thomas de Esse miles dedit XII.d. redditus in Esse.