Rev. Edward LESLIE
- Born: 8 Nov 1792, Glasslough, Ireland
- Marriage: Margaret HIGGINSON on 14 Oct 1820 in The Cathedral, Lisburn, Ireland
- Died: 2 Jan 1865, 5 Arlington Place, Clifton, co. Gloucester, England aged 72
- Buried: Parish Church, Clifton, co. Gloucester, England
Extract from "Visitation of Ireland" by Joseph Jackson Howard and Frederick Arthur Crisp (1897)
Rev. Edward Leslie (youngest son of Colonel Charles Powell Leslie of Glasslough, co. Monaghan, M.P., by Mary Anne his 2nd wife, daughter and heir of the Rev. Joshua Tench of Bryanstown, co. Wexford); born at Glasslough 8 November 1792; educated at Eton and at Christ Church, Oxford, matriculated as Fellow-Commoner 13 March 1812, B.A. 1815, M.A. 1823, B.D. 1831; Prebendary and Treasurer Diocese of Dromore, co. Down, 1817-47, and Rector of Annahilt, co. Down, 1847-65; died at 5 Arlington Place, Clifton, co. Gloucester, aged 72, on Monday, 2 January 1865, buried at the parish church, Clifton. Admon. (with will and codicil annexed) was granted at Belfast 20 April 1865, to Margaret Leslie, the relict.
Extract from the "Belfast Telegraph" dated Friday, 18 December 1908
Ulster Lady's Estate: Subject of English Chancery Suit.
In reference to the report of the case of Finney v. Govett, which appeared in our columns under the heading of "£16,000 at Stake", being an appeal arising out of a probate suit in reference to the estate of the late Mrs Marianne Govett, of Richmond, Surrey, "Ulster Scot" writes:
Mrs Govett was a daughter of the late Rev. Edward Leslie, rector of Anahilt, who married a sister of the late Mr. Henry Higginson, of Carnalen. There were seven daughters and three sons.
The daughters were:
- Jane, married to Rev. Mr. Vogan;
- Marianne, married to Rev. Mr. Govett;
- Isabella, married to Major Graham Egerton, Huddleston;
- Maragret, married to Rev. Mr. Ashe;
- Christina, married to Rev. Charles Beresford Knox, a grandson of Lord Ranfurley;
- Agnes, married to Rev. Mr. Finney;
- Angelica, married to Rev. Canon Pooler.
The sons were:
- Thomas Edward, who was a professor in Queen's College, Belfast;
- Joshua Robert, a clergyman.
Edward married Margaret HIGGINSON on 14 Oct 1820 in The Cathedral, Lisburn, Ireland. (Margaret HIGGINSON was born on 13 Jun 1792 in Holybrooke, co. Antrim, Ireland, died on 13 Nov 1872 in Lisburn, Ireland and was buried in Ballinderry, co. Antrim, Ireland.)